Monday, December 28, 2009

Scars

I have good news! I have medical clearance from my doctor! Now all that stands between me and Spain is a visa and miles of ocean :) My arm is healing well, I have more of a hairline fracture now. My wounds have healed together and are scarring. The scars are deep and purple. At first I wasn't bothered by them, being so thankful just to be alive. But now, I can see some people look at me differently, like I have a defect. I do my best to cover them up for the most part, just so that others don't have to see about them and wonder, or some just think they're gross. I have a couple options to take care of them, one is microdermabrasion, the second is plastic surgery, and the third is a second and very expensive ointment. I'm going to start using the ointment tomorrow, and see how well it takes care of them. However, part of me wants to keep the scars, so that I can make some people uncomfortable. Here in the States especially, we don't like to feel uncomfortable, especially when it comes to dealing with or encountering other people's sufferings. We like to remain naive in a world that is perfect enough for us. But my scars are one of sadness. They are one of some suffering. Most importantly they're a reminder. They remind me to be thankful, and to never be short of putting full trust in the Lord. They remind me that he saved my life, and I am spared to carry out a command to share his Love with the World. They don't make me sad, at all. I hate that it makes other people sad, or uncomfortable. Hopefully these scars will open doors to a conversation about a loving Savior.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through our faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in that which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Your prayers are so important to me! Please let me know if you are one of those that are praying, or have read his blog. I love ya'll! If you have any prayer requests please tell me so I can be praying for you too!

3 comments:

Faith My Eyes said...

Brook,

I am so thankful for you, for your scars, and for a loving God who can heal both the body and the soul. Your attitude through everything you have suffered has been a testimony to me. Thank you for your steadfast love that faithfully returns to the one who's steadfast love endures forever. See you soon!

Christy said...

Brook,
I am Christy, Taryn's good friend. I've heard so much about you and just wanted you to know I've been praying for both of you and will continue to lift you up during your time in Spain. I cannot wait to see how the Lord uses you and works all things together for your good and His glory.

Anonymous said...

I think you should rock those scars. They are a part of who you are now. Use those scars to begin a conversation about God. You are an extremely smart girl (even though you claim you hit an owl, bahaha), so don't let those people get you down!

Mark Looney