Saturday, January 9, 2010

It Always Rises

I’m sitting in the DFW airport right now, waiting on my connecting flight to Houston. Soon I’ll turn in my documents there for a visa application. (Yes, they finally arrived!) As we were departing the Little Rock airport and ascending, the clouds were thick and the sky was dark. Above the clouds you could see the light of the sun on the horizon while the sky was still dimly lit in the early morning. I never knew the sun rose so quickly, but it did. It was a sudden light. It made me smile. In light of all that has gone on in the past few months, everything seems to remind me of how faithful and unchanging God is.

Is he not like the sun? He’s always there, and never changes his character and qualities. We may not always recognize the sun because of the cloud cover, but above all that, if we rise above it, we’ll see that it rises every morning and sets every night.

The landing was a little scary. The wind was blowing hard and causing the plane to sway side to side, but seconds before we landed we straightened out, and made a smooth touch down. I’m not going to pretend that I didn’t send out a little prayer to the Lord haha. Our circumstances may change in life. You could be in a life threatening crash, or have someone close to you pass, or just have your plans inconveniently interrupted. But our God is constant. I find a great deal of comfort in that.

I met a man on my connecting flight, and he also was on my return flight later that day! this is ironic because we were on a flight that was cancelled, so we deplaned, and then got on another flight, which we were both on. I then changed my return flights to a later time than scheduled and he was on that! What was interesing about this man and our conversation is how open he was with me. He had been dealing with a great deal of pain since 5 years earlier when his 23 year old son was in a car crash that caused his death. Mr. Billy was a believing man who was struggling with the question "why?". I could smell the whiskey on his breath as he asked me questions like, "What do you think my son will look like in heaven? Will I recognize him when I see him? What about infants that die (are they grown up in heaven?)". I of course didn't have answers to these questions, but I could tell him with certainty that it will be better than we could ever imagine.

"Man's knowledge is the foolishness of God". He wouldn't be God, if he were someone who's ways and character we could comprehend. Praise God for that. It would be something awful to have a God who thought and reasoned the way we do. We have a chance to have a relationship with God who offers love, and wisdom. He was also kind enough to give us each other, so that as a church body we could support each other in the best and worst times!

I hope this has encouraged you to see the goodness in our Father, as it applies to your own life. Thank you for praying, and for your encouraging notes. I love getting them!
Blessings and Peace

No comments: