Monday, February 22, 2010

This is Spain

Ironic, or just confused? America is everywhere here! In stores, all I here is the US top 40 (including those from the 90s). This was taken at the flee market where you can find anything from clothes and accessories to instruments and home decor and tools.

I had a little bit of some cultural frustration today. As I went to the supermarket, which is about 2 mile's walk, and grocery shopped for nearly an hour. I went to pay. I had been to this store many times before, but his particular lady checking me out gave me a hard time. I gave her my credit card, and she asked for identification (which they check anytime you use one). When she noticed that my liscence wasn't from around here she asked for my passport, which I gave her a copy of. After checking it out for a while she asked where I was from. I told her the States, and she says, "oh sorry, we can't take your card".
This was the most absurd things since I have paid with this card at this store many times before. After explaining all this to her, she says, "oh sorry, they must have been new employees". ugh...... luckily I BARELY had enough cash to cover what I had shopped for, and walked that nearly 2 miles back home, carrying all of my groceries. It was aparent this lady wasn't particularly impressed with the fact that I'm an American.

On a good note, I've been doing well in my language class. It's coming along, but I'm still practically a baby trying to figure out how to communicate all that I want to. I've only had one language blunder so far, and it was pretty epic.... I'll leave it at that. :) I have a small class, so it has been easy to make friends and talk to folks. 2 people in particular I've been getting to know, and as they get to know me more, they ask a lot of questions because they see how differently I live. It has been a blessing to be able to share with these 2 why I am different. Henrik, has asked me to explain to him why Christ was murdered. (if that's not direct, I don't know what is!)And Elise has really been searching for truth and substance in her life, in all the wrong places. It's been my prayer that she'll the joy and happiness as a result of the decision I made to trust Christ.



This is what my daily life is centered around. Cafe, and the Bread. I don't know if I could live without either. The coffee here is so good!

This is the ceiling of a dome of one of the many cathedrals in Spain. This one happened to be Mosaic, and absolutely beautiful. This church was mild compared to some others than I've been to; ornate in gold and idols of pseudo-Marys and countless saints. They pay for every prayer here as they light a candle under their saint-of-choice. How sad, that they would rather pray to one of the Lord's workers than God himself. Christ said, "NO ONE comes to the Father, but through ME." Often I feel so sad it hurts, to think about how people are living their lives based on a lie, that feeds them nothing but grief. The Truth is so much more simple, and it puts peace in the midst of all the chaos!

And just incase you left your ornamented priest's robe at home, you can get it here. For no more, no less than an arm and leg. Also all of your crusifixes of every kind, and holy cups and candles can be found here. haha!

One more thing... the greatest thing happened right before my eyes as I was walking to class. In front of me I see an old man with his 2 sons at the bottom of some scaffolding that is against one of the sky-rises yelling up, "Come down! Come down here, now!" As I look up I see a man climbing the scaffolding with the policia following closely behind. Hah! Such a great moment.

It's always good to hear from ya'll! I miss everyone so much! If you know someone who would like to be on my email list, let me know and I would be happy to add them. Please continue to pray for me as I'm in language school and building relationships :)

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow Brookie, a lot has happened already! That is so exciting just to hear of you daily life stuff, Soak it up

Faith My Eyes said...

I'm so glad that you are getting opportunities to talk about J! Our language class is all workers, so we look for our opportunities outside. At least every other day someone tries to convert me to Islam which always provides opportunities to talk. Keep going, Brook! Soon, your spanish is going to be amazing!