Friday, January 29, 2010

You know Benni Hen??

The whole way home today, I couldn't stop rejoicing! Today was the last day of the first week of my Spanish class. And no, I wasn't so happy JUST for the weekend :) I'll start this one from the beginning...

On the first day of class, during our cafe break, one girl was making conversation with me. I found out she (Ezechielle) is from the Congo, but no lives in Brussels. She found out I am from the States, and her first reaction was to ask me if I am a Christian. This was very strange because in Europe people rarely open up about, or want to discuss spirituality. Of course I told her yes, and waited for her reaction. Her response surprised me. "Oh, you know who Benni Hen is?!" I actually let a little chuckle out loud.

-yes, I know who he is.
-Do you like him?
-Um, not really.
-Why not, he is a Christian, no?

To keep it light hearted but truthful, I said "Yes, I've seen him on TV. He is showbiz".

Later that week as we were learning descriptive adverbs and phrases, we played a game where we wrote about ourselves, and as our profesora read them we had to guess who they were describing. Ezechielle wrote about herself saying that in her spare time she likes to read the Word of God. It was apparent that she herself, is a Believer. Next we played a game in which each person had the name of someone famous on their forheads and we all had to describe, or ask questions so that we could guess who it was. On Ezechielle's forhead was written "JesuCristo". As she asked questions she came to one that sparked some disagreement among the group. "Is he real?" she asked. There was some "No" and "uh..." and a single "yes came from me. Our profesora then clarified, "No, he is not real". I looked at Ezechielle and said, "he is real, and he is real to you". "Jesus Christ" she said, and a very sad look came on her face. After class I caught up with her and explained that I am a Believer and I am here as a missionary to share Him with others. The joy that came from her is something I wish I could see more of among other Followers, and myself. "That is wonderful! Jesus, my Love! Praise God!". Ezechielle is 20 now, and was told about Christ from her cousin when she was 16. With no one to ever disciple her or show her what is expected of a Christian she told me "You know that reading the Bible and praying to God everyday is so important. Everyday you must read and pray. You are doing a good work for the Lord. You know, in class today I cried when they said that He is not real. After what he has done for them!" As our hearts broke for them, she and I mourned over the lost, but then rejoiced for the fellowship we had found in another sister.

Today Ezechielle took me aside during or break and told me she needed to talk to me. "I just want to talk to you about my love, Jesus". She was so hungry to have fellowship and someone else to rejoice with! She leaves tomorrow to go back home for school, with no other Believers around to ever be an encourager, or to just talk to and have someone understand her.

What an encouragement and example to me! The kind of strength it takes to walk so closely with the Lord is something I have taken for granted because it has always come so easly to me with a family that believes and supports, and having always grown up knowing who he is, and what he has done.

Please praise the Lord with me today for Ezechielle and her faith. Pray for her unbelieving family, and for a fellowship of believers that can be near her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brook,

My faith is strengthened by catching up on your blog today. It is so encouraging to see God's promise that He has a plan and purpose for you being fulfilled. You are a sweet amazing obedient young lady. I'm so proud of you for boldly proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. My prayers are with you. Please pray for my great friend Stormi Beckham who was diagnosed earlier this week with colon cancer and spots on her liver. She is one of the strongest women of faith I know and she has been one of the only friends that I can rely on to actually be there for me in the midst of the storms of my life. I love you my little sister!